My week so far.
- As of yesterday fall has arrived and I am beyond happy to welcome the new season! With the cooler temperatures right around the corner, I find myself spending more and more time in the kitchen. The cabinet directly above our fridge exists for the sole purpose of storing all my baking ingredients and while they are continually being used... they are still many. Odd place to have them as I can barley see over the fridge... let's be honest here, no step stool will ever make me tall enough. I suppose this is why I have 3 unopened bags of coconut flakes, an embarrassing amount of sugar and quite the army of duplicate spices. My husband Nate can attest to my most common saying... "I swear I ran out of that ingredient...". Yeahh, it's about time we re-think this storage situation. My sweet husband is now in the process of building me shelves easily accessible to a 5' 3" kitchen troll and soon I will have a whole lotta cute jars on display!
- I went to my first yoga class last week since 2012 and boy did it feel long overdue. Every muscle in my body was lamenting but equally rejoicing. The studio was a close walk from my house and across the street from my favorite liquor store. #win. With the beginning of a new season come many changes and for me a yoga class once a week has become my mid-year resolution!
- Also, I am embarrassed to say but it's taken me only two short weeks this month to watch the first four seasons of Game of Thrones. I know, I am way late on this one but WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO DIE.
- Now to my baking adventure for this month, an ode to the end of summer and beginning of fall, I have a Honey Spice Cake filled with blueberry preserves, decorated with marzipan woodlands for you. Recipe Below!
Honey Marzipan Spice Cake (makes two 6" rounds)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 TBS cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 egg whites, whisked into stiff peaks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 TBS almond milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp all-spice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- marzipan (for layers and decorating)
- blueberry preserves (or an preserve)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 TBS honey
Pre-heat over to 325. Grease two 6" pans, line with parchment and set aside. In a small bowl sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. In a large bowl combine butter, honey, milk and vanilla extract. Alternating, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs into stiff peaks and fold into cake mixture. Careful not to over mix. Pour mixture into both cake pans and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
While the cake is baking go ahead and make the frosting. Cream together butter and sugar. Add almond extract and honey until well mixed.
Once cakes are cooled completely, pipe a circle of frosting on the first layer, add blueberry preserves and top with a thin layer of marzipan. Pipe a second layer of frosting around the cake, add another few spoonfuls of blueberry filling and top with the final layer of marzipan.
Frost your cake and add your marzipan decorations as you like!